Off the top of my head:
 * Rosetta (for PPC)
 * Apple Mail in Mavericks cannot do any searching without spotlight (among
other bugs)
 * Mavericks Messages keeps records of every chat you’ve had, the option to
explicitly “close” can cause deletion when set but previously iChat didn’t try
to horde data like this
 * Gatekeeper makes you jump through hoops to install from un-"identified
developers” ($)

You can decide how negative these issues are overall (I only use Mavericks on
the go, when I’m not really using the computer), and I’m sure there are further
reasons.