raf wrote:

I've been told that macports needs to be selfupdated at least annually.
If it's been too long between selfupdates, it can fail (It did for me once
on 10.6.8). You might need to reinstall macports instead of selfupdate.

To any expoerts out there, does that sound helpful?

I wouldn't uninstall just yet, and definitely not without making a backup first, as it will remove the possibility of easily restoring the old versions.

When you upgrade, MacPorts will only deactivate the old versions of ports (unless specifically told to immediately uninstall them). So you should be able to activate the older versions to get back to the state you were in previously. It should be pretty obvious which is which based on the timestamps in 'port -v installed'.

If you want to try to go ahead with upgrading, I would first 'port deactivate active' and then 'port install' (not upgrade) the ports you want to use. That will still use anything you already have installed if possible, saving some build time, and will avoid any issues with ancient variants, replaced ports and such.

If that still fails, you still have the option of reactivating the old versions.

- Josh