Ok, I tried that driver, and it doesn't work for any external USB I have.

An external Thunderbolt drive should just work, no driver for SMART support
needed. My LaCie did, anyway - on the Thunderbolt interface, using Apple's
Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter. Though that drive had a USB interface too, SMART
support did not work on there.
https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Supported_USB-Devices
<https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Supported_USB-Devices> should list which
drives have the required SCSI/ATA translation support, i.e. may work.

gsmartcontrol crashed on me with

dyld[16578]: Symbol not found: (_gtk_plug_construct)
  Referenced from: '/opt/local/lib/libgtkmm-3.0.1.dylib'
  Expected in: '/opt/local/lib/libgtk-3.0.dylib'
Abort

(this was on Monterey with ports up to date)

but for supported devices, smartctl from the command line works fine.