Greetings All....:-)

I had earlier promised to post the procedure I used to get Ubuntu Linux
running on the Quad MacPro (the desktop, not the MacBook).  Work has
gotten rather busy of late so I must apologize and post what I have so
far.  It should be mentioned that I am not running Windows, so I have
room for a swap partition rather than a swap file.  I also do not use
BootCamp for the same reason.  I understand that there may be a few
different configurations for the MacPro (ex. I have the Sony DW-D150A
dvd drive and the NVidia GeForce 7300) so your results may be
different.  I also do not use OS X, so I have kept only a very minimal
system in case I need to get firmware updates.  This procedure is
adapted from a number of different procedures for the MacBook.  I should
note that many of these were incorrect in that they were showing lilo
being installed to the MBR of the disk.  On a MacPro, this will destroy
the EFI partitioning, so make sure you use the "-b" switch to place lilo
at the start of your Linux partition, and not on the MBR for the drive.

Here is a very quick rundown on what I did to get Ubuntu Linux running
on the MacPro.  Constructive commentary would be most appreciated.  I
can dress this up and clarify it later if there is enough interest.

# get refit-bin-0.8.tar.gz from http://refit.sourceforge.net/
# boot from the OSX install disk
# erase and partition the disk with a single OSX partition using the
disk utility on the OS X install disk
# install a minimal OS X
# open an OSX terminal
sudo su -

# unpack refit-bin-0.8.tar.gz

cp -ri refit-bin-0.8/efi /
cd /efi/refit
./enable.sh
diskutil list

# allows 5G for OS X and the rest for Linux, including a swap partition
diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 5G Swap Swap 2G Linux linux 225G

# reboot

# insert Ubuntu Linux live CD and restart
# at Apple boot chime, hold down "c" key
# press F6 - other options
# specify irqpoll option
# hit enter to begin install

# double click the installer icon on the desktop and fill out the form
presented
# do not erase the EFI 200Mb partition
# select manual partitioning
# set mount points as follows :
#    /dev/sda3 => swap
#    /dev/sda4 => /

# grub install fails (click past this)
# open terminal to be used for chroot (application/Accessories/terminal)
sudo su -
passwd

cp /etc/apt/sources.list /target/etc/apt
mkdir /mnt/ubuntu
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/ubuntu
mount -t proc none /mnt/ubuntu/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/ubuntu/dev
chroot /mnt/ubuntu /bin/bash

ifconfig eth0 <ip address>
route add default gw <gateway ip address>

# edit /etc/resolv.conf and add name servers as needed

apt-get install lilo lilo-doc
# edit /etc/lilo.conf and enter the following:
   boot=/dev/sda4
   default=linux
   map=/boot/map
   delay=20
   image=/vmlinuz
   initrd=/initrd.img
   root=/dev/sda4
   label=linux
   append="irqpoll"
   read-only
# open another seperate terminal (no chroot,
application/Accessories/terminal)
   sudo su -
   parted
   print
   set 4
   boot
   on
   print
   quit

# in chrooted terminal
lilo -b /dev/sda4
# warning/error messages may occur

# if warning/errors occur, try this {
    lilo -b /dev/sda4 -P fix
    reboot
    synch the MBR via rEFIt partition tool
    # should report success
    #
    reboot
# }
# synch MBR via rEFIt partition tool
# should report tables are already synchronized, no need to sync
#
# select linux from rEFI screen
# penguin splash screen displayed
# it should boot from the hard drive now