On Oct 20, 2009, at 3:35 PM, Dave Neary wrote:

> Ryan Abel wrote:
>
>> I've written up a proposal on the wiki outlining some general
>> guidelines for cloak distribution and format.[1] Hopefully some
>> interested folks can review it and see what they think. The primary
>> change I'm considering is lowering the karma threshold from 1000 to
>> 500 since 1000 excludes more helpful contributors than I'd like.
>
> This might be a silly question, but what does an IRC cloak do? Is it a
> veil of invisibility or something?

Wikipedia has a useful overview: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Cloaks

Essentially it provides 3 things:

1. Privacy, since your IP is no longer displayed for all of the world.
2. Bling, since you know you've arrived when you've got a maemo.org
cloak. ;)
3. Identification, it helps other users spot important and useful
people in the organization.