Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2005/11/29, Matthew Allum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>"the 770 is not an embedded system" - OK :) You understand my point
>>though - we could argue all week on if my digitial watch for example
>>was a small computer or an embedded system.
>

> And that wouldn't resolve the real issues with the device which are
> the RAM shortage and less-than-optimal graphics performance wrt screen
> size.
>
>   tar cfz - /var/lib/dpkg | wc -c
>
> gives somewhat less than one megabyte on the SDK, and I expect it to
> be about the same or less on the device (if it indeed had the dpkg
> stuff there, the product image does not currently).
>
> So we are talking about changing a rarely used utility to save less
> than one percent of the flash space? With modifications to who knows
> what amount of the packages included?

I wouldn't call ipkg rarely used, Familiar, OpenZaurus, openwrt,
SlugOS, pdaXrom,  sharpROM and several other distros have been using it
for years.

> Or is ipkg a drop-in replacement for dpkg, requiring no changes to
> build environments or the packages themselves?

a .ipkg should be compatible with a .deb (ar wrapped tarballs). See
http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/Ipkg for details. Iirc ipkg should be
able to install .debs and dpkg should be able to install .ipks.
Could you specify what you mean with 'build environment' and 'packages'?

> Could I "apt-get source foo" from a Debian repo, compile the package
> for ARM with an utility like dpkg-buildpackage and stuff it to the
> device like I can now (from the command line, and if AI would support
> real debs from it too)?

you can, ipkg-buildpkg will do the grunt work for you. Systems like
OpenEmbedded will make live even easier by autogenerating control files.