On 1/17/06, Weinehall David (Nokia-M/Tampere) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We already do the power saving part, we already have all the positive
side effects of keeping alive -- but *if* the user wants to do a proper
shutdown, which will allow him to keep the device alive even longer than
usual -- let them.  It's not going to hurt you one single bit -- you're
not forced to use the functionality just because it's there...

> Current 'Switch off!' mode should be something people should do only
> when the want to put the device to drawer for months and want the
> battery charged (which you could do by removing battery anyway). On ipaq
> you have very awkward key combo for this mode buried deep in manual on
> page noone reads. Not directly in menu on device. And yes in this mode
> alarms are not supposed to wake up the device :-)

I've been using PDAs since the old Palm Professional and I really appreciate the way they handle the power button.  No state is lost, it's virtually instantaneous (much like waking the 770!), and I can grab the device, jot down a note/etc., and switch it off very quickly.  It's rather confusing to hit the power button on 770 and be presented with a menu; I want it to switch off (or appear to), not ask for more input.  I'd also like it to ignore screen taps once it's pretending to be off-- unless it sleeps automatically.  This way it doesn't wake up inadvertently in my pocket, but it's easy to tap it to wake it up again if I let it sleep while doing something else.
  Playing music should keep going as it does currently, although an on-screen button to make it switch the screen off immediately would be great.  I really don't like having it glowing in my pocket, and having to place the cover on is awkward enough (not a one-hand operation) that the power button is really important.
  Behaving like a Palm will make sense to all the former users like myself, and delight Zaurus users (myself included) who hated having to hold down the power button to make it do anything as well as the considerable lag before it was responsive again.  I would reserve a long press of the power button for either a "hard" power down if things lock up, or to present the menu at that point.

Just my 2c,
Larry

I don't really think we should consider iPaq as a reference point
of brilliant design...

I definitely expect my devices to wake up from sleep even when they're
off.  Hell, my phone(s) wakes up from sleep even when it's off.
Yours probably does too.

> > Power management efficient enough to make suspend meaningless
>
> If the suspend is taken as replacement of poweroff the reason is here
> because it should pause the device in the midle of playing video or
> sound. Take it as the current 'Lock touchscreen and keys' plus pausing
> sound and network plus anything that takes power or keeps state that is
> useless after couple of minutes.
>
> Maybe suspending tasks is not needed after all just send them different
> signal so they know device will be paused for many minutes and may wake
> up in different environment so they should really finish/stop what they
> do. So it is probably about more device modes than current offline or
> flight mode (are they same?) and normal.

Introducing something like that would mean that we'd need to modify all
programs to handle custom signals.

As a side note: yes, at the moment, offline mode and flight mode are the
same, that may not remain so.

> > I cannot really understand why a lot of people here seem to want
> > crippled functionality just because other platforms have limitations.
>
> Instant poweron and proper pausing of everything when you press one
> button is not crippled functionality but very simple and neat thing Palm
> devices do and people expect.

If you want the kind of soft "poweroff" you talk about,
try putting the cover on your device some time...

"Whoops!  It pauses video playback!  It disconnects network
connections!".

And if you really want the audio playback to be disabled too when
the cover is closed (personally I find it a quite nice that it keeps
playing), we can hack that up just for you, no problem.

All this said, the powerkeymenu is going to be redesigned to allow for
custom actions, and an action that emulates soft powerup by doing
"enable keypadlock + offline mode + pause sound playback" should be
trivial enough to implement.

Regards: David Weinehall