I accidentally replied to the author, not the list, apologies.

On Sunday, 5. February 2006 00:06, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > I'm led to believe
> > that scratchbox is OSS enabled.
>
> inside scratchbox you are talking to your "real" /dev/dsp so it's more
> correct to say that you discovered that your "real" linux installation
> is OSS enabled... ;)

Badly phrased from me, I guess a better way to say it would be "scratchbox can
use whatever audio system is present on the host computer".

> Scratchbox just mounts the /dev, /proc and /tmp (possibly others too?)
> from the "real" environment so having audio work on scratchbox is not
> really an indication of anything I'm afraid.

The version of esound that is shipped with Maemo SDK seems to be like on N770
defaulting to /dev/dsptask. So it didn't work for me, since the host is
running ALSA with OSS-emulation (see above :-), and (DSP
Gateway's?) /dev/dsptaskX directories do not exist there. So I took the
esound 0.2.35 sources from
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/esound/0.2/. After installing the
esound stuff to the SDK from these, esd starts and works.

If I now succesfully compile and test an audio application with this new
version of esound under Maemo arm-target, what is the likelihood the app
would also work on the N770? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong here?

-Teemu