You'll get this message any time you try and install a .deb from the
Debian pool or other non-Maemo repository.  Basically it means you'll
have to install it manually as mentioned by someone else.  For a quick
and dirty install, do a "dpkg-deb -X [.deb filename] /", although I'm
sure there are better ways to do it.

Larry