> On Monday 13 November 2006 22:08, Andrew Barr wrote:
> > What are my options for Windows Media Audio streams on the 770? Most
> > Internet radio streams (I mean simulcasts of real broadcasts in this
> > sense) are offered in (at least) this format, which is supported by free
> > software (ffmpeg) up to version 2, the latest version I've ever seen
> > anywhere. However, no one seems to have had any luck with third-party
> > codecs on this device, much less for streaming. Is this device powerful
> > enough to handle decoding audio streams using C or ARM-assembly codecs
> > (from ffmpeg)? It's likely that the bitstream would be 16 to 24 kbps. I
> > understand free tools for the DSP aren't quite there yet, so that may not
> > be an option.
>
> FFmpeg library contains WMA decoder and MPlayer supports it at least on
> x86 desktop PC. There are some problems with its support on ARM though.
>
> First and the most easy to fix is that WMA decoder seems to have some
> alignment problems, so it crashes on any attempt to play WMA files. This is
> quite easy to workaround by running 'echo 3 > /proc/cpu/alignment' as root,
> see https://maemo.org/maemowiki/PortingFromX86ToARM and the links at it
> for more information.
>
> A major problem with WMA decoder is that it uses floating point math. And
> having no FPU in hardware, Nokia 770 does not seem to be able to decode
> 128kbps WMA files to play them in realtime (sound is skippy). So it is not
> very useful unless somebody finds (or implements) a fixed point WMA
> decoder.
>
> However I also tested 20kbps WMA sample and it worked fine with CPU load
> at about 60%. So if anybody would like to have such low bitrate WMA
> files/streams supported, I can have a look at these alignment problems, fix
> them and release updated version of MPlayer for everyone to use.

Well, the latest maemo build of MPlayer now supports WMA audio (with that
extremely inefficient cpu usage and unability to play high bitrates). But it
can play internet radio streams, for example running the following works:

# mplayer mms://wm05.nm.cbc.ca/cbcr1-calgary-low

On the other hand, standard audio player seems to support WMA files playback
just fine :) Does it have problems with internet radio?  Or you just tried to
look for free alternatives? What was the reason for asking this WMA
streaming question in the first place?