Hi,

I've been looking at the n800 kernel source in bora repository to figure out what n800 is like comparing to the n770. Here is a summary of some things I found. As I don't have the device I may be wrong with something that could be easily verified.

kernel is 2.6.18-omap1 - everybody probably knows that :-)

MMC/SD

4 bit data bus seems to be used only for SD cards, omap2 maximum speed is now set to 48Mhz (was 24Mhz for omap1 reduced to 12Mhz for N770). There are no high speed MMCmobile/plus (or high speed SD) patches applied so I guess SD cards run at 24Mhz, MMC at 16Mhz. There are also no patches for wider bus width (4 bit) for MMCmobile. SDHC cards are not supported too. As there are patches floating on the net for all these things (done mostly by Philip Langdale http://intr.overt.org/blog/) future looks promising :-) Oh, BTW multiblock writes _are_ enabled in this kernel.

Video

similar setup like N770 but hopefully improved (finally no memory bicycle but proper bus?). The external videochips seems to be from epson too, not 472 but 475 (or 4 in early prototypes?) called Blizzard and Hailstorm. Difference seems to be bigger memory buffer (1280K) that allows 24 bits in 800x480 instead of 16 on N770. See also
http://www.erd.epson.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=68&Itemid=40
So the framebuffer is still external but handled by something different. OMAP1 uses something called SOSSI, OMAP2 calls it RFBI (remote frame buffer ...) Interesting is that omap framebuffer driver now contains code for synchronization on vblank and preventing tearing effect. It is both in omapfb/blizzard/rfbi code for n800 and also for omapfb/hwa472/sossi code for n770! Lets hope some variant of this kernel will go into some future n770 firmware. If not we can try to backport it for mplayer. from the code it looks like the pin from 472 chip signalling horizontal or vertical blank perion is indeed connected to something and checked (?) inside sossi driver. The is still no support for display rotation feature of the epson chip.

Both IVA and MBX are a bit of a mystery to me. Probably another ones to the bag with jazzelle technology so it won't feel alone there unused :-)
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbugencontent.tsp?templateId=6123&navigationId=12719&contentId=27458

USB

Seems to be 2.0, capable of high speed mode (480MBits), chip is TUSB6010 by TI. No usb host mode is compiled in the kernel. Usb host mode support was also removed from initfs (usb booting) so this may look bad.

BT

Was already discussed, see the bt headsed thread - Bluecore4 CSR chip capable of BT2.0, driver is called hci_h4p in drivers/bluetooth/hci_h4p (not present in mainline kernel?).

WI-FI

seems to be same chip as in (newer) N770 devices (?), similar firmware blobs (3825.arm, 3826.arm) probably newer versions. Hopefully the speed will be better that those 500KB/s on N770 thanks to rest of the system.

Audio

Alsa compiled in, OMAP24xx EAC driver, mixer support, PCM should be handled by DSP.

Feel free to correct or expand if something is wrong/missing.

Frantisek