On Saturday 07 April 2007 20:20:46 Acadia Secure Networks wrote:
> Jeffrey,
>
> are you certain that the VNC problem you are experiencing is causing the
> 802.11 to be dropped?

My theory was that the N800 drops the WiFi connection when the screen blanks,
and I know that the screen blanks when the N800 does not detect any user
events.  So my guess was that the problem was due to lack of taps or button
pushes, not inactivity of the VNC connection.  I did not mean to suggest that
dropping WiFi was related to my other question about insensitivity on the left
side of the screen.  My theory may be completely wrong.  It seems to me that
VNC activity is insufficient to prevent the screen from blanking, but perhaps
the N800 drops the WiFi connection when it goes into a state beyond blanking
the screen, and perhaps VNC activity is sufficient to keep the N800 out of that
state.  What I see is that my VNC viewer becomes catatonic after a period of
inactivity and at the same time I can no longer ping the N800.  I have to wake
up the N800 by tapping the screen.  The N800 then reestablishes the WiFi
connection and I can again use the VNC viewer.  It's possible that I lose the
connection to my VNC viewer after a period of both no user events and no VNC
activity.  In any case, I would like for the VNC connection to stay alive so
that I don't have to physically access the N800.  Is there a way to configure
the N800 so that it stays fully awake as long as it is on external power?

> I also use VNC and experience the problem of the
> left hand side of the virtual screen not responding to  mouse clicks. I
> am using Tightvnc as the VNC client running on Windows XP SP2. However,
> I do not experience loss of the 802.11 connection due to inactivity of
> the VNC connection.

Interesting to know that you see the same behavior, even though we are using
different VNC viewers.  Sounds like a bug in x11vnc, no?

I looked at the HowTo for setting up usbnet
(https://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowToSetUpUsbNetworkingDebian).  I hope that I
don't have to go that way (although I suspect that usbnet would work faster and
more reliably than WiFi) because there is much in that document that I don't
understand.  For example, step 5 says:

> Now you need to configure the network on the device. Add the following
> lines to /etc/network/interfaces on the 770 and comment out or delete the
> existing usb0-entry:

Once again, I am baffled as to how I am supposed to modify the contents of a
file on the N800.  Is there a console that permits me to navigate to the
appropriate directory?  Is there an editor that permits me to make the
necessary changes?  Am I supposed to install these things?  I hate to expose
such prodigious ignorance, but I must have missed something in the tutorial.

My goal is to get VNC working (pretty much there) so that I can view and
interact with the N800 from my desktop system.  Then I would like to get NFS
working so that I can mount the desktop system on the N800.  I will do program
development on the desktop, and test the program by switching to the VNC viewer
to run the program on the N800.  The transfer of the program to the N800 would
happen transparently thanks to NFS.  I need to mention that I am writing the
program in Python, so there is no issue of cross-compiling.  As far as I can
tell, I don't need scratchbox, although I am installing it now anyway.

Speaking of Python, there's something else I haven't figured out: How do I run
Python?  It's already installed, right?  Again, I seem to need a console so
that I can run the python command -- or a Python shell.

Jeff