Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> Well, I have news for you ... that <3s standard for showing a basic UI
> has already been met (with the N800 and N810 running OS2008 at least).

Actually OS2007 is faster here with my N800 in this regard. When
launched repeatedly, both Application Manager and File Mananger show
something below 0.5 seconds and look complete in <=1 second (except
scanning cards and directories in FM). Startup of other apps is slower
though. In OS2008 File manager is below 1 sec too, AM is slow like others.

> So all your smoke and mirrors will likely impact the user perception
> negatively

Well, while the fake UI is non-functional it may still help you to do
the thing faster. Imagine Calculator application. It takes time before
one thinks about what to type and finds specific number button, but
until you see the layout, you can only wait. With correct screenshot
your mind can start thinking about what buttons to press in which order
earlier. True that at the time you manage to hit first button with
stylus, it must already be functional or at least buffer the events or
you are confused.

So IMO it is not just smoke and mirrors. With banner your mind is
occupied with watching spinning circle and you don't/can't think about
what exact actions you are going to do next.

But still, focusing on improving actual startup speed is of course much
better than doing such dirty tricks :-)

Frantisek