Hi,

ext David Greaves wrote:
> Lorn Potter wrote:
>> Qt's rotation is not done on the hardware level, it is done in Qt's
>> software. It can be done, if the transformed driver is being used.
> OK - given no tilt sensor, I'd put buttons in the corners that do the same
> thing.
>
> Also, I've just written my first app in gtk/C.
> After sobbing quietly and trying to avoid getting tears on my N800 I'm looking
> forward to getting back to Qt!!
>
> Apologies to any gtk fans out there - I just have a hard time with all the
> pointer casting and trying to bludgeon the OO api into C. Qt was so much more
> elegant.

You could try pygtk (www.pygtk.org) if performance or memory usage
is not an issue for you.

> check = (GtkCheckButton*) gtk_check_button_new_with_label("aargh");
> Since when does a constructor need type casting?

The Gtk idiom is:
        GtkWidget *window;
         window = hildon_window_new();
         hildon_program_add_window(HILDON_PROGRAM(program),
                                   HILDON_WINDOW(window));

         g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT(window), "delete_event",
                          G_CALLBACK(delete_event_cb), NULL);

I.e. you do the casts when using the object, not when creating it.
And you don't use C casts but appropriate Gtk (or in above Hildon and
Glib) casts which also assert that the casted object is of suitable
type for that cast.

> So when can I
>   maemo-rootstrap diablo50_Qt_armel
> ? <grin>

There's a garage project for Qt:
        http://qt4.garage.maemo.org/

Just click the "Click to install!" button.

There's now supposed to be (somewhere) Qt support for the N8x0
device input method too which was a problem earlier.

        - Eero

PS. I don't see much difference between how Gtk and Qt work.
The difference between C and C++ is IMHO much larger. :-)