Giacomo Tufano wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Em_(typography) have, probably, the
> informations you're looking for. The answer to the Frantisek problem
> is, IMHO, that (citing the page) "In digital type, the relationship of
> the height of particular letters to the em is arbitrarily set by the
> typeface designer. However, as a very rough guideline, an "average"
> font might have a cap height of 70% of the em, and an x-height of 48%
> of the em". These differences could account for the numbers Frantisek
> found...

Thanks. So one basically cannot guess how many lines will fit from the
point size alone, it depends on specific font and its designer. Quite
confusing but nevermind :-)

As for the first mystery - I found the solution.

vte-0.12.2/src/vte-private.h
#define VTE_PAD_WIDTH 1

When changing to 0 and rebuilding libvte4 it fits. Sadly same constant
is used for padding width and height which is pretty unfortunate. Left
border padding would be nice, without border there is no space and
letters touch black LCD border and look a bit strange. Top and bottom
border doesn't look so bad. I think splitting VTE_PAD_WIDTH into
VTE_PAD_X and VTE_PAD_Y would be useful. And making it variable would be
event better. Both for user customization and for computing it at
runtime for proper centering when font size doesn't fit exactly.

Frantisek