On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 22:17 +0200, ext Tim Teulings wrote:
> Hello!
>
> A few questions about DBus-based features under maemo.
>
> I would like to enhance several applications with the following dbus stuff:
> * Show list of available networks in WifiInfo using dbus calls (because
> querying the kernel interface directly seems to interfere with the
> "normal" operation).
> * I would like to get information about current network connectivity and
> trigger network connectivity on demand. This can be implemented by using
> libconic.
> * Later on possibly connect to other services and get other events...
>
> The problem is, that I'm not an Gtk application. So there are IMHO two
> possibilities:

I assume you mean you don't use the Glib main loop. Gtk is not needed
for D-Bus communication.

> * Generate a separate thread that uses a glib main event loop and try to
> get libosso and libconic to run using this event loop - communication
> with the rest of my application using thread synchronisations. Would
> that work?

Maybe that would work, but it's certainly a horrible hack.

> * I already have a dbus event loop running as part of my internal event
> loop. However this is not glib main-loop based, so I would not be able
> using libooso, libconic and similar, but have to get the direct dbus
> calls from their sources (having to adapt code every time the dbus
> interface changes).

I think the simplest solution is to use Glib main loop in your program.
Otherwise you would need to hack the libraries to work with your non-
Glib main loop (which is not impossible, but quite a lot of work).  Glib
main loop is like the GPL, it contaminates your program :)

BR; Kimmo