Incidentally, this only happens because libSDL uses
Xutf8TextListToTextProperty() in SDL_x11vm.c to set the window title.
Commented a few lines to make it use XStringListToTextProperty() and using
SDL_WM_SetCaption() worked to set the title without any Xlib tricks.

I can't be bothered, personally, to open a bug as I know it will not be
fixed for Diablo but (assuming that the Fremantle hildon-desktop doesn't
support UTF-8 strings for titles) anyone else is free to open a bug.

P.S: Frantisek, have any plans on updating the Game_development wiki page
with your tip? It'd help those who do not subscribe here.

Best Regards,
Faheem