On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:31:44AM +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:

> > > All in all I think that the Gtk-API should be used more, but
> > > that the rendering on the screen should just different from the
> > > rendering on the desktop.
> > We try to do that where possible. Sometimes it's just a matter
> > of theming the widget correctly, but other times it requires
> > significant changes to Gtk, and the maemo-Gtk maintainers try to
> > keep it as close to upstream as possible, because maintaining a
> > big fork is a hard task, but they can tell you better than me :)
> It's easier now that GTK+ (and hildon) uses git. And the changes
> could go upstream within a year, reducing the differences in
> your fork. This happened for previous Maemo GTK+ additions:
> http://live.gnome.org/Maemo/GtkContributions

Moving these changes upstream is something that the maemo-gtk
maintainers are already doing AFAIK. We all try to add to maemo-gtk
all things that can go upstream.

However the modifications you're talking about (changing the
implementation of Gtk widgets so they look/behave differently while
maintaining the same API) can't, by definition, be moved upstream :)

Berto