Hi,

I have my N810 booting straight into a desktop when I boot with the
charger in. Changing the runlevel number seemed like the way to go but
didn't work for one reason: mce checked to see if it was booted with
the charger in; if so, then display the charger screen. This meant
that it booted into the desktop, sure, but I would have to hold the
power key first before the touchscreen and wifi were activated (and if
you had a lock code,  entering that then) so a straight change didn't
work for me.

So, thanks to fanoush, I changed the bootreason driver in the kernel
to let me write whatever I wished to in it. (Patch is on the internet,
but it's dodgy code unless you wish to clean it up...) So I added this
to /mnt/initfs/linuxrc, before DSME starts:

        bootreason=`cat /proc/bootreason`
        if [ x"$bootreason" = x"charger" ]; then
                echo pwr_key > /proc/bootreason
        fi

This way, DSME tells MCE that it has been started by "holding" the
power key, and the linuxrc script thinks likewise so it boots from
runlevel 2.

Best Regards,
Faheem