Marius Vollmer wrote:

> The plan for Maemo 6 is to put everything on the eMMC by default.

Excellent idea. Finally :-)

> It
> has not been implemented yet, and there is thus not much experience with
> running the whole OS from the big eMMC.

As for getting experience - it is easy to gain it by cloning any current
OS version to card ;-)

> There might still be some
> surprises caused by the performance differences between ext3 and ubifs,
> or between the OneNAND and the eMMC.

For previous devices it felt faster when booted from card except some
corner cases (frequent fsyncs in sqlite causing metalayer-crawler to
take ages). For N900 the boot feels a bit slower but once system is
booted I don't see much difference (with ext2) but it is too early to
really tell.

And BTW when OneNAND is free, in theory it could be used for swap (over
ubi) causing less writes to eMMC when system is out of memory and
already slow.

Frantisek