This is what I've noticed:

killall hildon-home shouldn't cause the widgets to disappear.

If hildon-home is kill -9'ed, the widgets will almost certainly
disappear as part of a "safe mode" designed to ensure hildon-home
doesn't go into a "crash loop" due to a misbehaving widget.

But, if you then killall hildon-home (send it SIGTERM) while it is in
this "safe mode" state, it then proceeds to update its config (which
has all non-Nokia applets).

Best Regards,
Faheem