Graham Cobb on 01/19/2010 05:08 AM wrote:
We have to live with that and try to come up with a solution that is best for
the users.  In my view, that means having as many apps as possible available
to people who are still running the initial release.

This should be noted as a failure of Nokia to produce an open device.

I suppose I was too optimistic in thinking all N900s that have third-party applications installed have access to the Internet and would update all software when the device told them updates are available.

Perhaps the SSU (or whatever the acronym is) should be updated to not list or allow any third party updates when Nokia pushes a major update.

After all I've said, I still believe option 3 is the best option. Building multiple packages for Maemo 5 is a ridiculous solution. If someone is still running 2009-42-1 and it's the year 2011 and they want to install a third party app with a lib dep on a 2010-12-1 update, then SSU will not let the update happen due to the dep. The user will be told why they can't update their little fart app.