From: maemo-developers-boun...@maemo.org
[mailto:maemo-developers-boun...@maemo.org] On Behalf Of ext Aniello Del Sorbo
Sent: 12 February, 2010 13:30
To: Dave Neary
Cc: maemo-developers@maemo.org; Vayrynen, Titta; Aniello Del Sorbo
Subject: Re: Request: Tutorials & use-cases for documentation

On 12 February 2010 10:43, Dave Neary <dne...@maemo.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Aniello Del Sorbo wrote:
>> I too am of the ide of answers specific to a particular toolkit.
>> Quick and easy.
>>
>> Answer to the same use case in a different toolkit belong to that particular
>> toolkit category.
>
> While the technology used to answer a question is a concern (and not a
> tiny, easy to resolve one) which will only get worse with the addition
> of Qt 4.6 and WRT, I think what's most important now is to concentrate
> on the questions, and having at least 1 high quality answer for each
> of them, rather than concentrating on what we do if we end up with
> several answers.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave.

Yep and I am thinking, as developer, at all the questions I had while porting
xournal to Maemo.

Like, in no particular order, just thrown in as they pop up in my mind.
I am sure many won't fit the idea you guys have of a Use Case and many would
quite low-level, but they could be ispiring:

Start:

- Where to start from ?

Packaging:

- Is there a Debian packaging template for Maemo ?
- How do I add a subdir to my tree structure? <automake, autoconf>
- How can I make a Debian package that automatically compile and packages for
Debian like distributions and Maemo (useful for porting
apps)

Devel:

- How do I make my application aware of the Maemo specific context (i.e.
rotation, battery warning, connected/disconnected, calls in/out, keyboard
slider, and so on)
- Are there some 'standard' gesture I could re-use?
- How do Hildon Menu works?
- How can I make my own Widget ?
- How can I fade in/out stuff ?
- How do I read Maemo hardware data: pressure sensitivity, rotation status,
light sensor ?
- How can I make my code compile on as many Maemo blends as possible
- How can I drive the LED ?
- How do I access the cameras ?
- How do I communicate with other applications ? (camera, modest, contacts,
calendar)

UI:

- How do I develop complex UI interfaces (like Canola or FM Radio do)
  i.e. rarely using Hildon Widgets

Hope this is something you were looking for.

--
anidel