> >> Also, the idea that an application can both be "low
> >> quality" and "end user ready" is bizarre.
>
> > If the general Nokia view is that Extras apps should also
> > look pretty
> > and have nice design (i.e. so they reflect well on the
> > device), which is
> > a good goal for all apps, but should not be a requirement,
> > then we need
> > another repo layer between Extras-testing and Extras
> > proper, where apps
> > that work but are perhaps not up to the stringent
> > prettiness standards
> > can be placed.
>
> I do not represent the general view of my employer or anyone
> else, just myself.

My apologies.

> But poor quality applications reflect badly on maemo.org
> community as well. Do you want to be part of a community
> which is known for its low quality standards?

>From the list you show below, quality is obviously something that people
judge differently. For me quality is not that an app doesn't crash or
break things, but that it looks nice, spelling is good, it works
efficiently and quickly, etc.

> Notice that the current extras-testing QA requirements are quite low:
>
> 1. [ ] Bug database exist.
>
> Annoying, but not hard to add (particularly if you choose a
> tmo thread
> instead of bugzilla).
>
> 2. [ ] Licensing ok.
> 3. [ ] No illegal/dubious content.
>
> Yep, no piracy is acceptable.
>
> 4. [ ] Working provided features.
>
> Yep. crashing apps are bad.
>
> 5. [ ] No missing announced features.
>
> If something doesn't work (yet), don't advertize it. Don't
> dissapoint users.
>
> 6. [ ] Optification ok.
>
> Should we start accepting packages that break SSUs ?
>
> 7. [ ] No performance problems.
> 8. [ ] No power management issues.
>
> This could be clarified to belong only to always-running apps
> (such as
> hildon-desktop plugins).
>
> 9. [ ] No known security risks.
>
> This is a bit sketchy, but certainly allowing things like "default
> password ssh server" would be very very bad for endusers.

I wouldn't call these things the quality of an app, and I think using
that word is rather misleading. But anyway we're all still singing from
the same hymn sheet, so that's good.

Cheers,

Simon