Thanks Martin, I have a feeling that I should be able to set those flags in
alsa using the gstreamer APIs and pulsesink.

The pulsesink object does accept a propllist, and using pactl if you look at
the pulsesink, there seem to be properties that should be able to switch
between headset and speaker. Like x-maemo.mode which seems to be IHF or HP
depending on whether pulsesink is in headset or speaker mode.

I have been trying to use these flags, but haven't been able to do so till
now. If someone can help here, that would be great.

-Saurabh