OSSO == Open Source Software Operations (which is funny and now
defunct, but I won't go into it here).

If you're running on the device, make sure you're running as user and
not root (or at least using run-standalone.sh).

If you're running in Scratchbox, make sure to "af-sb-init.sh start"
and run the program using run-standalone.sh

Oh, note that some aspects of libosso will require a GLib mainloop,
whilst others require GTK+ to be initialized, as in Mr. Ivanov's reply
(osso_cp_plugin_execute () springs to mind).