Hi,

with the switch to qt i think there's a need for a qt map widget. I really
see a need for a unified widget to be used by all applications. The
current situation with multiple different map widgets on maemo5
shows what imho should be prevented:

- They store cached tiles at different locations wasting bandwidth as
well as device flash space
- No central point for map maintenance (e.g. cleaning the map cache
or downloading entire areas into the cache for offline usage)
- No easy and central way to add new map sources
- The overall look and feel is different although they intend to provide
 similar function
- Some widgets work behind network proxies, some don't
- None of these widgets is really developer friendly

Sampo Savola, the author of ecoach suggested to think about a qt
map widget. I am also interested in this as i am the author of osm2go,
maep and gpxview. Who else would like to contribute to this? I'd like
to make sure that such a widget satisfies most developers need
to be able to address above issues with one single qt map widget.

A start may be this widget:
  http://medieninf.de/qmapcontrol/

Till