Hey ho!

(CC'ing Jeremiah: Can you provide your insight on how to do this
transition right?)

2010/10/11 Wes Hardaker <w...@hardakers.net>:
> TP> I've just noticed that there are different packages of Git in the
> TP> Extras repository: One is called "git"[1] and the other
> TP> "git-core"[2]
>
> I suspect we started packaging about the same time and it's "one of
> those duplicate" problems.  I believe mine, git, is less complete than
> the git-core version so I suspect we should adopt that one instead of
> mine.  I'd be happy to do whatever is necessary to remove mine, but I
> don't think it's possible to "remove it".  Packing it as a wrapper would
> be fine too (and if you could tell me the best way to do that, I'd
> appreciate it.  The "git" package was actually my first debian-based
> package ever!)

For the wrapper package, you could simply let it depend on "git-core"
and make its contents empty, I guess. The other way would be for
Khertan to make sure that his git-core source package creates the
dummy "git" package that depends on git-core. This might create a
conflict in the repos, though (two different source packages creating
the same binary package). Niels could probably just remove your
package from the repos with the reasoning from above and then have
Khertan upload a new version of the git-core package that also creates
the transitional "git" wrapper package.

Here are the instructions for Debian, but the changes to
debian/control should be working on Maemo, too:

http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package

HTH.

Thanks,
Thomas