On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 11:36:54AM +0100, Thomas Perl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 2011/1/13 Ville Syrjälä <syrj...@sci.fi>:
> > I was bored one Saturday night last year, and wrote this little HD home
> > plugin to control the TV out on the N900.
> >
> > Finally got around to putting it online:
> > http://gitorious.org/maemo-tvout-control
>
> Nice utility! The scale and aspect ratio options are especially
> helpful and let me finally watch videos full-screen on my widescreen
> VGA monitor (using a Composite-to-VGA converter box).

The only unfortunate issue is that some combinations of settings simply
don't work. Usually it just leads to a black TV out signal. That's
caused by the display driver disabling the overlay used for TV out,
when some hardware limitations would be exceeded.

> Would you care
> about packaging it up and uploading it to Extras? If you need help,
> just tell me, and I can assist with packaging and uploading.

I'm too lazy to bother with packaging and whatever else is needed to
upload it somewhere. I would prefer if someone else could take care
of such things.

> Thanks,
> Thomas
>
> PS: Is the TV-out control panel applet that's included in Maemo open
> source? If so, we should probably add the scale and aspect ratio
> options there as well (now that there's some working and tested code
> that does just that) and distribute it through the Community SSU.

I don't remeber if it's open source or not. IIRC the control panel
applet just frobs with some gconf key, and it's some other component
that notices the change and communicates it to the X server.

One option would of course to replace the control panel applet
entirely. Never written one of those but I doubt writing one is
very difficult, assuming that the APIs are public.

It wouldn't be very difficult to turn my plugin into a daemon +
plugin, where the plugin would just play with some gconf keys,
and the daemon would take care of the Xv stuff. The Xv and GUI
parts are split fairly cleanly, so adding something between
them should be quite easy.

Also the same abstraction would allow other GUI concepts to be
implemented, eg. a HD status plugin, or a regular GUI application.

I don't have the motivation to do any of that ATM. But the code is
out there, if someone else wants to explore the possibilities.

--
Ville Syrjälä
syrj...@sci.fi