Thanks for your quick answer.

Le mardi 22 janvier 2013 à 11:40, Pali Rohár a écrit :
> Maemo systems needs its own patched kernel by Nokia. Prior N900
> device kernels contains some close source kernel drivers which
> working only on some specified kernel versions. So upstream
> kernels will propably not work with Maemo.

Bad news…

> If you want to use another linux distribution you propably want
> to try use patched Nokia kernel which working. But if your
> distribution depends on some new version, then you have problem.
> Upstream kernels does not have proper support for Nokia devices.
> More drivers missing and other does not working correctly. Also
> there is no support for watchdogs (for 770/N8x0) in upstream
> kernels, so you get instant reboot after few seconds.

That's the problem I have. I installed a small Debian system in a directory and
tried to chroot to it, which failed because kernel (2.6.16 in 0S2006) is too
old.

> You can try to look at meego/mer/nemo team. They have some
> updated kernels for N8x0, so maybe you find something for 770 too.

I had a look to MER project but quickly gave up because RPM-based. I'm
comfortable with Debian-based systems, but not that much with Red-Hat-based
ones.

I'll try to extract a kernel from one of these MER images and hope it works !

> Btw, for testing kernels, do not flash it into device, rather load
> it. Nokia flasher has option for it (-l) which load kernel+initfs
> images via usb and then run it without flashing. 0xFFFF flasher has
> this option too.

Yes, that's the way I'm doing it, thanks for the advice.

> And do you really want to have Debian on Nokia 770? Maemo is
> Debian like distribution, so you have dpkg/apt-get on device and
> you can compile and install deb packages without problem.

Not that much, what I want is a free system (at least as free as it can be) with
security-related updates, which is no more possible with Maemo on n770.

I'll go deeper in MER project images and post feedback later to this list.

Thanks.
Sébastien