hey,

The main disadvantage when compared to linux is the lack of driver
support. because freebsd uses a different driver api than linux, its
harder to port linux drivers to it and there are license issues when
porting drivers. freeebsd supports almost as much drivers in the
server space as linux, but when it comes to destop drivers, its
seriously lacking. there are few drivers in PCMCIA, wireless
networking (intel released binary wireless drivers a few days ago for
freebsd, an exception), ACPI etc. freebsd uses a version of OSS sound
drivers, while dragonfly has moved to their own csound and linux uses
alsa which has much better latency and driver support.

freebsd has no integrated reliable journaling filesystem, you can get
a few fs like reiser and xfs to run on it, but they are not stable.
FFS is pretty decent in terms of server filesystem, but the rest of
the world has long since moved on (read ext3, ZFS etc).

the packaging can be an advantage at times, expecially the ports
system which offers immence customisability, but most of the time,
pkg_tools is a pain, because it has no fine grained pkg management,
upgrades can break core, no really easy front-end like synaptic (there
are a few crap front ends like pirut, sometimes i think fedora copies
too much bsd :P).

the installer is infamous for having a partioning bug in it for the
last few years or so, J.hubbard's gratest legacy perhaps. point being
the text based installer is archane comapred to ubuntu or fedora's.
its more like the slackware installer.

unless you are an uber geek, install over http or NFS are a pain too.
but i dont know if many linux supports this either. also no kickstart.

freebsd has'nt yet support for many of the freedesktop.org components
like d-bus and hal, there are hacks, but they crash more often than
they run.

MYSQL: this is huge disadvantage, freebsd mysql innodb perfomance is
drastically worse in production WHEN COMPARED to linux servers, such
as RHEL or suse enterprise. kepp in mind that when compared to a
desktop optimised linux distro, such as ubuntu or mandrake, its
compares favourably.

thats all I can think of. oh yeah, binary codec-hacks etc run
terribly, so forget/put-up with bsd for multimedia stuff.

bib me.

BKR