One of my top priorities has been to port Mailman 3 (core) to Python 3.  This
work is now complete, and ready to be merged into trunk.  No doubt bugs still
lurk, but at least the entire test suite is passing.  My intent is to merge
this to trunk and do another beta release before the end of the year.

If you want to take a look at the branch, try this:

$ bzr branch lp:~barry/mailman/py3

The diff is available online via the merge proposal:

https://code.launchpad.net/~barry/mailman/py3/+merge/245313

It's a big diff.

$ bzr diff . --old ../3.0 | diffstat -s

Python 3.4 will be the minimum required version.  (It make work with earlier
Python 3's but I will not officially support anything earlier.)

There are a few things to keep an eye out for, especially if you are currently
experimenting with Mailman 3 in production:

* A few database columns have changed from LargeBinary to Unicode.  I have not
  yet figured out how to add the Alembic schema migrations to handle this, but
  I'll do so before the release.

* The internal format of the requests table has changed.  While the column
  type is a string, the internal format was a sort of home baked pickle-like
  format.  This turned out to be incompatible with Python 3, due to some
  assumptions made about the format.  I've changed this to using a JSON
  representation, which is safe and platform independent.  This means that any
  held requests (subscriptions, unsubscriptions, held posts) must be cleared
  before switching to the Python 3 code.  I don't think it's worth trying to
  migrate this internal format.

* The new email API in Python 3 is really wonderful, but I am mostly not yet
  taking advantage of it.  The one area that required a significant rewrite is
  in the Subject prefix munging code.  Some Python 2 behavior is different in
  Python 3 and the old algorithms had to be rewritten.  I've added a lot of
  tests, but there are probably bugs in the new code, especially when various
  mixed charsets appear in the Subject header.

Please do test, review, grouse, compliment, curse, rejoice, and enjoy.   Over
the holidays I'll spend some time cleaning a few things up (especially the
documentation), then I'll merge this to trunk and do a 3.0b5 release as a
Python 3-only application.  Mailman 3 will not be bilingual so Python 2
support will be dropped.

Cheers,
-Barry