On Jul 2, 2007, at 11:06 PM, Terri Oda wrote:

> Since I've largely finished up the coding contract that was eating up
> a lot of my time, I'm thinking that I'd like to do some coding for
> fun.  And nothing says fun like trying to fix the Mailman archives! ;)

That would be awesome Terri!  It's an aspect of Mailman that sorely
needs attention, and you will gain (even more) fame and fortune by
working on it. :)  I totally support this effort.

> I'm trying to remember all the things people have suggested for the
> archives in the past so I can figure out what needs to be done and
> what might be nice to have, and see if this is doable in the time I
> have in the foreseeable future.
>
> The big things people wanted most, if I recall correctly, included:
>
> - modernized HTML/CSS/Themes (preferably to match a modernized web
> interface... is that all set up now?)

It's not, but Andrew Kuchling will be working on this.  I haven't yet
revealed detailed plans, though I'm working on an email about this
over the U.S. July 4th holiday.  But I suppose it's time for a quick
summary: I'd like to get a Mailman 2.2 out with an updated u/i sooner
rather than later, and if possible an updated archiver would be one
of those few other new features that I think could go into a 2.2.
OTOH, it would be fine if we pushed that off to Mailman 3 too, but it
leveraged all the u/i work to be done in 2.2.

> - archive links that won't break if the archive is rebuilt

Yes, this is absolutely critical, in fact, I'd put it right at the
top of the list, even more so than a u/i overhaul.  Stable urls, with
backward compatible redirecting links if at all possible, would be
fantastic.

Along with that, I would really like to come up with an algorithm for
calculating those urls without talking to the archiver.  This would
allow the list delivery queue to calculate the List-Archive: header
value and any message header/footer substitutions before the message
hits the archiver.

> - better address obfuscation (maybe by generating pages through cgi)

I'd still love to do this, and I think were it not for crawlers, we
could get a lot of mileage out of creation on demand and caching.
But how do you handle Google crawling your archive?

> - search

Another huge huge feature.

> - not adding a billion dependencies to Mailman

Definitely.  I'm also not opposed to changing the interface between
Mailman and the archivers if necessary.

> Here's the list from the wiki's Mailman 2.2 page: http://
> wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Mailman+2.2

We should probably start a separate archiver wiki page.  I plan on re-
organizing the 2.2 page anyway, so I'll probably end up doing that if
you don't get around to it before me <wink>.

> (1) Is anyone working on this already?

Not that I know of.

> (2) What else is on people's wish lists for a pipermail replacement?

Other things high on my list are ditching the crufty storage
currently being used (pickles begone!), an RSS feed, and a 'message
storage' which could be used to vend archived messages through other
delivery transports, such as imap or nntp.  But I'd be willing to put
all that off for stable urls, an updated u/i, and searching.

Anything I can do to help, please let me know.

- -Barry