Aanand Shekhar Roy writes:

 > Suppose I have posted my confidential information on mailing list,
 > and the list setting is neither "accept" nor "discard" any mails
 > having confidential information.

I think you really should give up on this idea as stated.  This
function really should be implemented in the user agent, as a plug-in
with a large dictionary of user-contributed criteria, as Spamassassin
does for spam.  Such a plug-in could also be used in the enterprise in
the MTA.  But a list knows too little about "confidential", it knows
too little about individual concerns for privacy, to do a good job.
The only thing going for a list is that lists often are relatively
public and so relatively high potential for "leaks".  But it's quite
easy for an MUA to figure out which destinations are lists (most lists
nowadays sport RFC 2369 header fields), so that takes care of the
list.

The MUA also can be intelligent about things like corporate contact
addresses in the automatically added footer.  More important, the
author of the mail controls the rules (see disadvantage 2.d below).

What to do instead:

You can generalize to allow Mailman to filter on regular expressions
in the body (this should be easy to do simply, but watch out for MIME
structure and very large messages).  That has been requested in the
past.  I believe the reason we don't do that already is that
applications like Spamassassin and ClamAV do the job of filtering for
malicious mail *much* better than we can (because they already have
those libraries of criteria), and there aren't other good use cases.

I'm not sure this is "big enough" to be a GSoC project (Mark or Barry
would have better judgment), but it's much more likely to be useful
and could be applied to your desired application.

 > So I had to ask which one approach is better?

Both seem pretty bad to me.

 > 1.Including a command like "accept_confidential" at start of message or
 > subject.

This has three disadvantages.

a. Users are notoriously poor at using the commands, and not very good
   at spelling them correctly.

b. If you reject the mail and *don't* provide the original text, the
   user has to reconstruct the mail from memory if they haven't saved
   it.  (This may not be such a problem with modern MUAs, but the ones
   I use don't keep file copies of sent mail automatically.)

c. If you reject the mail and *do* provide the original text, you are
   providing a spam vector.  (Spammer sends mail *from* the victim's
   address and includes "confidential information" but deliberately
   omits the command.)

 > 2.Sending the mail, getting an auto-reply from reply-bot like " your mail
 > contains confidential info. reply with "confirm"   ".

This has four disadvantages.

a. Most users are unlikely to care about the phone numbers etc in
   their mail.  False positive rate will be high, and the "please
   confirm" spams similarly annoying.

b. If you reject the mail and *don't* provide the original text, the
   user has to reconstruct the mail from memory if they haven't saved
   it.  True, the list has the mail and will resend it, but the user
   needs to be able to figure out *why* the mail was held, and that
   may not be at all obvious without the original text.

c. If you reject the mail and *do* provide the original text, you are
   providing a spam vector.  (Spammer sends mail *from* the victim's
   address and includes "confidential information".)

d. Since the author doesn't control the rule set, it may be
   *impossible* for her to construct a mail that will convey the
   desired information and still pass the filter.