Please keep traffic on-list, unless it's security-related or truly
personal.  Replying to list.

Prakash kumar writes:

 >  > What does a "plugin" give that improves on this process?
 >
 > The only problem that I find is, we need to implement a framework for

We have such a framework already, and since the only person who will
be using it is the site admin (see below), I really don't see why the
command-line-based download-copy-configure process is excessively
burdensome.

 > changes for every requirement.

Somebody has to write the code.  Once it's written, you just copy the
module into place, and no code needs to be written.

 > It will also help new developers to write plugins without actually
 > understanding the complex coding of mailman.

I can't imagine an interesting plugin that requires no understanding
of Mailman internals.  Theming web interfaces, sure, but that's not
part of Mailman core anymore, that would for Postorius or HyperKitty
or some other application.  What kind of thing are you thinking about?
Is it really appropriate for a mailing list (vs a blog or web forum)?

 > I think it will be better if we can give the users

What users?  See next comments.

 > ability to load and unload plugins without touching the source code

We already have that, for values of "user" == site admin.  With a
prewritten plugin (handler or rule), the only Python you need to know
is the syntax of Python lists and strings, and maybe not even that.

 > means from the web ui like in wordpress.

I think this is very unlikely to happen.  No sane site admin would
enable such a feature in Mailman as currently implemented, because
once you have a Python module, you have access to pretty much
everything inside of Mailman.  For example, you could write a plugin
that looks for private or no-archive lists, saves a month of posts
to disk, and then spews the lot to Twitter (after checking the
language and spewing to Weibo instead for Chinese).

The only thing I can think of would be nice to have, maybe the site
admin could install the handlers/rules manually as now, but add a
feature to Postorius to allow manipulation of the pipeline from the
web UI so that handlers or rules could be enabled selectively for
individual lists.  Again I'm not sure that a sane site admin would
allow this from the web UI, because manipulating the pipeline or rules
can have a large impact on performance and correctness of behavior.
If a poorly ordered pipeline caused a list to go rogue, that could
affect the reputation of the whole site.