On 3/8/15 5:03 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Richard Damon writes:

  > This is why I say that having only "per-thread" limits isn't workable,
  > as threads are too fragile.

Systers-style "dynamic lists" may fix this problem.

On most discussion lists subscription is open, so you'd end up with
people bypassing any restriction by creating new addresses.

I think in general this kind of throttling would need to have the
support of the subscribers, or it wouldn't be workable.
Yes, "sub lists" could probably handle it, as well as mailman's 'topics' (as long as unclassified was considered a topic).

Yes, sock-puppets can be a problem, but most of the people in this sort of discussion want the name recognition, so it isn't quite as much of a problem.

And lastly, YES, a general support from the list on this sort of action would be needed. On one moderate volume list I run, something like this would be very welcome, most of the subscribers would love it, and even many of the people who would get throttled would accept it, as it is operating in a "fair" manner (it affects everyone the same). The one complaint I could see are the few people with small minority views who might think that each side should get a similar number of posts, not each poster.

--
Richard Damon