Abhilash Raj writes:

 > 90% of the time is spent trying to encrypt user passwords, for each
 > of the imported member. Well, duh, encryption is an expensive
 > operation and when you do that once per-imported member, it is
 > definitely going to be slow.

Why are we storing unencrypted passwords at all?  Passwords are pretty
low-security in any case, but this is asking for trouble.

 > Although, another interesting fact is the user passwords are kind
 > of useless in Mailman 3. In Mailman 2 you had to setup a password
 > or one was auto-generated for you per-list and you needed that to
 > login to the web ui. However, in Mailman 3, the passwords (in
 > Core's database) aren't used for logging in since Web Frontend
 > stores the authentication tokens (social auth or passwords). In
 > fact, the users who sign up first time on Mailman 3 probably don't
 > ever have a password set in Mailman Core's database.

I'll trust you on that.  Although it suggests the question, if nobody
has a password, why does it take so much time to encrypt no passwords?

 > So, I commented out the code that actually imports the
 > password(src/mailman/utilities/importer.py#L663-664)

I'm happy with this.  This is a major breaking change *if* anyone is
using core passwords which they probably aren't, but it deserves
flashing lights and sirens in the release announcements.

Steve

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information