Hi all,

Mailman seems to like wrapping the e-mail subject when it gets too long (78 chars I think.) Because this causes problems with many common e-mail clients (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) is there any way to disable the wrap?

The problem is that after "folding" the line (as RFC822 puts it) Mailman uses a tab character to indent the line below. The RFC states that the CRLF+whitespace combination should be replaced by just the whitespace character used - and since Mailman uses CRLF+tab, after unfolding we end up with a tab character in the middle of the e-mail subject.

Thunderbird displays this using ASCII encoding (so you get a little round circle in the middle of the subject) whereas Outlook displays nothing at all (so you get people pointing out that you forgot to put a space in between those words.) Some MTAs seem to expand the tab into eight spaces, leaving a large gap in the middle of the subject instead.

You can see examples of these in the messages posted to the list yesterday, e.g. "Apache,<tab>mailman and ScriptAlias - not as documented"

The easiest solution (for me) would be to just disable folding of that header, or alternatively to replace the tab with a space, so that e-mail clients display a single space as originally intended by the author instead of doing something funny with the tab character.

Does anyone know if there's a way to do this, or whereabouts in the code I should start looking?

Thanks,
Adam.