Also posted this question to the mailman3 list yesterday. Andrew
Hodgson sent an informative answer, so that's probably it. "Amazon SES
rewrites the Message-ID. Yep and for this reason I don't use it. The
problem is worse in Mailman3 because it has a much more superior
archive display which gets ruined when people reply to messages with
different Message-Id headers and the threading can't be observed. I
also had to use the anonymous mode with my list as Amazon didn't like
me using random addresses in the From: header. I'm still looking for a
tolerant mail gateway to use with Mailman."