I run three Mailman lists on my web server, one browsable and two
non-browsable. I wanted to eliminate the footer that gets added to the bottom
of messages distributed by one of the private (non-browsable) lists.

When I tried to do this, I would browse to the admin non-digest page, delete
the contents of the Footer field, and hit "Submit my changes". This would send
me to a login for admin privileges of the list in question. I would log back
in, only to find myself on the page I had just modified, but the modification I
made did not take place.

I experimented with this a bit, and found that I could eliminate the footer on
my public (browsable) list on the same server. So I tried converting my other
private (non-browsable) list to be browsable, at which point I could eliminate
the footer, and then switch the list back to being non-browsable.

But once I tried to implement the workaround on the non-browsable list I wanted
to change, I got the same defective behaviour when trying to switch the list to
be browsable -- I would get redirected to the admin login page for the list in
question, log in successfully, only to come back and find myself on the same
privacy page, with no changes having been made.

I saw a report of this behaviour on this mailing list from the year 2000. It is
still going on now in 2023. One would think that some information on how to
workaround this bug would have been found between now and back then.

Note that, when I am able to successfully change a setting, I am never sent
back to the list admin login page.

I have also posted this as a bug via the Mailman launchpad.  This behaviour
appears to be browser-independent; I have tried it on Firefox, Chrome, and
Edge.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Charles Buckley