At 01:01 17/01/2003, Jeff  Schoby wrote:
Hi all, newly converted majordomo heathen here....

I -think- I followed the instructions right.....however, for some
reason when I create the list in the web interface, the aliases don't
get added to the virtual user table and emails to the new list I create
bounce back as 'user unknown'
The point of mm-handler is that aliases for lists do not have to be added to any file. The mm-handler script that is called by sendmail to deliver essentially all the mail it receives looks in Mailman's runtime directory structure for certain files associated with valid lists to determine whether the target mail alias is valid. If it is the mm-handler calls the Mailman delivery script.

let me know what info you guys need.  using slackware 8.x with sendmail
and the latest stable mailman, python, and apache
Although I used mm-handler I'm no sendmail expert and expertise with sendmail is what I found to be at a premium in getting it working. A couple of questions you could look at:

1. Does the mail log being generated by sendmail show that the mm-handler mailer is actually being used by sendmail in an attempt to deliver. If not then that is your first problem. I found I had to do a bit a lot of fiddling to get sendmail set up on my system, including having to hack the m4 code that generates the sendmail.cf, before sendmail started calling mm-handler.

2. Did you set the $MMWRAPPER and $MMLISTDIR variables in the mm-handler perl script that tell it where to find the Mailman's runtime directory structure.

You should be aware that the way mm-handler interacts with the mailman delivery scripts is inadequate in its error handling and there is a clear and present danger of mail being silently dropped on the floor if the mailman delivery script fails. This is not good; been their and still got the scars from the beating I took as a consequence. The author of the mm-handler contrib knows of this and may have developed an enhanced script.

I do not want to bias you but there is an alternative version of this which implements the sendmail mailer in Python and is more robust in its error handling. This is posted as Mailman patch #644810 (and a precursor patch #644797). Patch #644810 includes a file README.SENDMAIL.mailer which may help you. It includes information about steps I had to take when getting mm-handler working before I decided to do it in Python,