Here is a repost of my "So you want to use the Default Mailman install
that comes with RH9..." post:

Note: my server's name is "list.anncons.org" so I use that for the host
definitions below.  You should use your hosts name.

Put the following in your /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file:
MAILMAN_USER = 'mailman'
MAILMAN_GROUP = 'mailman'

Also you will need to put in your hosts real domain name:
#DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'porky.devel.redhat.com'
#DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'porky.devel.redhat.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'list.anncons.org'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'list.anncons.org'
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

Lord knows what the Mailman packager for RedHat was smoking the day he
did this RPM...

To set Mailmanctl to start on reboot, use the chkconfig utility (or you
could use the Services gui that comes in the System Settings/Server
Settings menu).

chkconfig --list mailman
mailman         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

chkconfig --level 345 mailman on
# this will turn the mailman daemon on automatically when the server is
booted.

Good luck - Jon Carnes