Hello,

I am using Mailman 2.1.4 on Debian/Woody with python 2.1/2.2. When users send a
confirm email (eg subscription and approval) that contains international characters
like ößå I get the following error in mailman/log/error:

Feb 09 20:21:28 2004 (19156) Uncaught runner exception: ASCII decoding error: ordinal
not in range(128)
Feb 09 20:21:28 2004 (19156) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/www/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 110, in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
  File "/var/www/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 160, in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/var/www/mailman/Mailman/Queue/CommandRunner.py", line 237, in _dispose
    res.process()
  File "/var/www/mailman/Mailman/Queue/CommandRunner.py", line 110, in process
    stop = self.do_command(cmd, args)
  File "/var/www/mailman/Mailman/Queue/CommandRunner.py", line 135, in do_command
    return self.do_command(cmd, args)
  File "/var/www/mailman/Mailman/Queue/CommandRunner.py", line 137, in do_command
    return handler.process(self, args)
  File "/var/www/mailman/Mailman/Commands/cmd_confirm.py", line 86, in process
    if line.lstrip() == match:
UnicodeError: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

I experimented with python 2.1 and 2.2 and tried different localization settings
for Debian and different language settings for the lists (including encoding
changes mm_cfg.py) without any success. To use "english only"-list helps a bit
because the generated emails are clean of international letters. But if some
user just hits the "reply" buttons using an email-client that adds a signature
automatically I am in trouble again.

Research on "ordinal not in range(128)" on the internet did not give any helpful
results, but it seems to be "common" problem with python. So maybe it is mainly
a python problem. The rest of Mailman works perfect (web-interface,
mail-delivery)

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
  Stefan Knöß