We have a list that's acting up, and I'm hoping that the assembled wisdom can help me figure out what's going on.

Mailman 2.1.4 running on Solaris. The Web server and the various Mailman qrunners run on one machine, the mail server is a different machine. The mailman directory is cross-mounted via NFS so that both machines can see it.

(Now that I think about it, I can't remember why it's set up this way -- I didn't do the initial Mailman 2.0.x install, and just followed that pattern when upgrading to Mailman 2.1.4. Is there any reason that I should think about moving the qrunners to run on the mail server? Things *do* seem to be working...)

Anyway, on the strange behavior...

We have a list where all the members are moderated, so that all postings have to be approved before they are distributed. We recently started running BrightMail to filter out SPAM, and added a SPAM filter to the list's configuration, with an action of "hold". What happens now is that a piece of mail comes in to the list, BrightMail flags it as SPAM, Mailman's SPAM filter matches and holds the message, mail is sent to the moderators notifying them of the held message, and then Mailman begins talking to itself. That is, there's an endless series of messages, sent from the "listname-owner" address *to* the "listname-owner" address, each attaching all the previous messages -- one of the notifications I got had 39 parts, where each part seemed to include all the previous notifications. On the Mailman "admindb" page for the list

I'm having a difficult time:

   a) Figuring out why this is happening
   b) Even describing it rationally

I've changed the action for the SPAM filter to "discard", to see whether there's some confusion going on between the "hold for moderation" and the "hold because it matched a SPAM filter".

Any advice gratefully accepted...

--
Steve Burling                                    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
University of Michigan, ICPSR                    Voice: +1 734 615.3779