This one had me going for a while. In the end it turned out to be a corrupted or mangled file.

I finally compared the directory view in the finder to the list of files in the terminal. While doing an ls -al in the terminal config.pck.last was visible. When looking at the directory in the finder no such file existed. Removing the file via the cl did the trick. I once again have access to the list configuration via the admin interface.

I don't know what happened to that file but obviously Mailman was unable to overwrite it.

Hope this helps someone down the line.

Terry