On 5/18/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:

 For my server, I use Postfix as the incoming MTA with Postgrey for
 greylisting. This gets rid of much spam.

At the Anti-Spam Workshop at the LISA'07 conference, one lesson we learned is that every site is different, and what works for one site may not work for another.

However, another thing we learned is that greylisting is becoming much less effective for many sites -- the workshop leader shared with us some average statistics for greylisting success versus spam for the year versus the last month, and the year was a 20% hit ratio while the last month was 10%.

At that point, I would say that greylisting is less than useful. There's a definite non-zero cost to using it, but if the spammers are doing non-queueing retries, then greylisting becomes less than useful.

                                           The remaining mail is run
 through MailScanner <http://mailscanner.info/> which in my
 configuration uses ClamAv, SpamAssassin, Razor, Pyzor, DCC and other
 checks for malware and spam. I find this to be a pretty effective
 combination.

I've got a multi-part article I've been writing for a couple of years that details all of my knowledge and experience on the subject of fighting spam (and I've been doing this for over seventeen years), for publication on the LOPSA.org website, and goes into some detail on the anti-spam methods we use for python.org.

Anyone who wants a copy of the current draft should contact me, and I'll be glad to share it with them, under the conditions that they don't share it with anyone else without my prior approval, and they promise to give me feedback.

I'm also hoping to do an invited talk at the LISA'08 conference on one small part of the spam problem, if anyone is interested.

--
Brad Knowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>