could the following be directly related to the toggle between MIME digests and
plain-text ones?

(herewith the question)

I've been using mailman for a very long time, since I migrated from SmartList
maybe 12 years ago.

I have a multi-question topic that takes a few questions and combines them into
a cohesive whole.

This is what I'd like to ask:

1) My main mailinglist runs to about 2000 subscribers.  I would say perhaps
it's evenly split between those who would like to have something more blog-ish
(web-based) and those who would like to have it remain email-based.  However,
I've just noticed something on a user's cellphone-based email and their
web-based email; this is one of the people who would like me to move the whole
interface to Facebook.  (and I have spent years developing the wiki associated
with this mailinglist!).  (see http://www.colorist.org/wiki )  Now I think FB
has its place, but this is a professional forum where almost instantaneous
answers that come from mailman's email-based design are very valuable to that
half of the community who use it for asking important questions that are
answered in literally, a moment or two.   Yet I just looked at this particular
user's celphone (Android) message queue, (he subscribes to the digest) and saw
that the digests he's getting are empty attachments indicating 2k in leng
 th (I forced one out that is about 8 pages to test).   Then he also complained
that on Earthlink's "Webmail" he gets his digests not with concatenated text
like I'm used to seeing, but with no text in the message and instead, an
"Attachments" header that lists each message (horizontally) as "Forwarded
message"  "Forwarded message" etc.   (which when clicked, show the messages,
supposedly).   He hates this of course.

For what it's worth, he says Outlook exhibits the same behavior as Earthlink's
Webmail.

So I'm wondering, has something changed in the way the RFCs are not being
honored; are digests not 'homogenous' across platforms any more; is there a way
to fix this behavior which may be affecting others?

Thank you to Barry, et al., for maintaining Mailman.  btw I'm running 2.1.12 on
CentOS.

Rob Lingelbach
r...@colorist.org