That is correct.  The lists are current news announcements so only the
list owner posts to the list.  The sample headers I got look legit as
far as I can tell.  They redacted all the email/destination information
that would id the receiving system/email.

The original lists are old enough to not have been confirmed.  The goal
would be to send a confirmation email to everyone on the list and
unsubscribe anyone who does not re-confirm within a reasonable time, say
1 week.