On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Chip Davis <c...@aresti.com> wrote:

> All of the Mailman lists I host/admin are provided free of charge, as a
> value-add to the members of various non-profit groups.  Insofar as the
> actual costs of providing a discussion or announcement list are hard to
> tease out, the best I could do would be to apportion the total costs of the
> servers they are on across all the other services I get. The income would
> be nice to offset my expenses but administering it would be nearly as great
> as that of adminning the lists themselves. So I treat it as my contribution
> to good causes.
>
> Also, I have a philosophical/ethical problem with charging for simply
> providing a FOSS service.  I know it's allowed but still...
>
> -Chip-

This is not about charging for mailman service, but rather the value-add of
the community. I.e., it's a list for a professionals with ~10K subscribers.
The list used to be run out of a university that dropped support for it
several years ago. It was adopted by a nonprofit association, which pays
money to keep the list running. This is about offsetting the cost of
running the list, by allowing sponsorship by for profit members of the
community who benefit from it.

It's not unlike corporate support of FOSS, for example.