On 4/29/20 6:52 AM, Ben Edwards wrote:
> Hi, we have a list server with several lists and the setup  seems
> different on some and not sure how to fix this.
>
> The problem is on some lists some people are not getting the names of
> the people who send emails (in thunderbird).  Looking at the source the
> lists that are showing the names have this in the source.

First of all, MUAs have their own ideas of what to display as From, and
Mailman has little control over that.

> From: "Ben Edwards (CUBE)"<b...@cubecinema.com>

This is a message to which a DMARC mitigation has not been applied.

> But the ones that are not have this in the source.
>
> From: "Ben Edwards \(CUBE\) via lighting"<light...@cubecinema.com>

and this is a message to which a DMARC Munge From mitigation has been
applied.

> So how do I setup mailman so the email address, rather than list name
> and via, are in the From field?

The Mailman settings that control this are General Options ->
from_is_list and Privacy options... -> Sender filters ->
dmarc_moderation_action.

Setting General Options -> from_is_list to Munge From will make this
transformation to every message. We recommend setting this to No and
setting Privacy options... -> Sender filters -> dmarc_moderation_action
to Munge From which will apply this transformation only to messages
From: a domain that publishes a DMARC policy of reject or, if
dmarc_quarantine_moderation_action is Yes (also recommended), quarantine.

See <https://wiki.list.org/x/17891477> and
<https://wiki.list.org/x/17891458> for more on Mailman and DMARC.